|What is cough?|
Cough is the sudden expulsion of air from the lungs. In the process, the air passages get cleared. Cough could also be a symptom indicating a respiratory infection.
Thus, cough is categorized into two types. These two types include acute cough and chronic cough. A type of cough which lasts for less than 3 weeks is termed as acute cough. If cough exceeds 3 weeks, it could be termed as chronic cough.
What causes cough?
There are various causes for coughing. Some of them are as follows: Common cold Sinus infections Pneumonia Bronchitis Asthma Environmental allergies
Alternative remedies for cough
- Ginger:This is an excellent remedy for cough. Juice extracted from ginger, mixed with honey is an excellent formula. This can be taken 3 to 4 times a day.
- Holy basil (tulsi):A glass of water, boiled with tulsi leaves serves as a good drink for this condition. Also, it can be used as a gargle.
- Lemon-Honey Cough Syrup: Heat 1 whole lemon by boiling it in water for 10 minutes. Cut that lemon into half and squeeze out the juice. Add 2 tablespoons glycerine and 2 tablespoons honey. Mix well. Take 1 teaspoon of this syrup.
- Quick formula: Mix 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 Tablespoon honey, 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar and 2 Tablespoons water. Take one teaspoon of this mixture.
- Aconitum napellus: This remedy is recommended when cough occurs suddenly, due to exposure to cold climatic conditions. And, cough is continuous.
- Belladonna: This remedy is recommended when cough is accompanied by irritation in the throat. Cough is continuous and intense.
- Bryonia: This remedy is recommended when there is a slight pain in the chest while coughing. The person may also experience headache and pain in the stomach.
The following essential oils are well-known for their properties to relieve cough:
- Cedar wood
- Tea Tree
- Vitamin C protects one from cough and cold. Vitamin C can be obtained from fruits like gooseberry, cashew fruit, lime, orange, guava, sweet lime and sprouted pulses.
- Onion juice and honey will relieve irritation in the throat.
- Thyme leaf juice is good for cough and can be used for gargling too.
Acupuncture: Acupuncture treats people based on individualized evaluation. This evaluation indicates the deficiency or excess of the energy flow. In most of the cases, the deficiency of the flow of energy is found in the lung, spleen and the liver meridians.
Yoga:These exercises are together called as 'Shat-Karma' or 'the six purification exercises in Hatha Yoga.
The yoga exercise recommended to relieve cough are as follows: